Tel: 01308 861800
Health advice and support for young people



Sexuality describes how you express yourself in a sexual way. Part of your sexuality is your sexual orientation, which refers to who you’re attracted to, want to have sex with and fall in love with. It’s as simple – and as complex - as that. - Information provided by Brook.

EACH: Educational Action Challenging Homophobia

This is a charity for young people and adults affected by homophobia. It has a helpline for young people, parents or teachers who want to report homophobic bullying. Call the EACH actionline on 0808 1000 143 on weekdays, 9am to 5pm. Calls are free from landlines and most mobiles. 

Stonewall: Education for All

Stonewall is a charity that campaigns for equal rights anyone in the LGBTQ+ community. Its Education for All campaign tackles homophobia and homophobic bullying in schools across the UK. You can find case studies, facts and figures about homophobic bullying in schools, and advice for young people and teachers on the charity's website.

For advice on coming out:

For more information on sexuality:


Gender refers to the way in which a person feels and thinks about themselves, and the way they dress, speak or move. This can be different to the ‘sex’ they were given at birth. - Information provided by Brook.

Young people who are 17 years of age or older who are suffering from Gender Disphoria may be seen in an adult gender identity clinic. To be referred to a GIC, speak to your GP, who can make a diagnosis of gender dysphoria and, if desired, steps can be taken towards more permanent hormone or surgical treatments to alter your body further, to fit with your gender identity.
GIC clinics offer ongoing assessments, treatments, support and advice, including:

  • mental health support, such as counselling
  • cross-sex hormone treatment
  • speech and language therapy – to help alter your voice, to sound more typical of your gender identity
  • hair removal treatments, particularly facial hair 
  • peer support groups, to meet other people with gender dysphoria
  • relatives' support groups, for your family

For some people, support and advice from a clinic are all they need to feel comfortable in their gender identity. Others will need more extensive treatment, such as a full transition to the opposite sex. The amount of treatment you have is completely up to you.

Mermaids UK

Mermaids supports children and young people up to 20 years old who are transgender and/or gender diverse, and their families, and professionals involved in their care. Call their helpline Monday - Friday; 9am - 9pm on 0808 801 0400.

Gendered Intelligence

Gendered Intelligence deliver trans youth programmes, support for parents and carers, professional development and trans awareness training for all sectors and educational workshops for schools, colleges, Universities and other educational settings.

For more information on types of treatments, visit:

For more information on gender identity and to read other people's stories visit:

Recognition and support:

There are a number of laws and guidelines that protect transsexual people and outline how they should be treated by medical professionals.

Under the Gender Recognition Act of 2004, trans men and women can:

  • apply for and obtain a Gender Recognition Certificate to acknowledge their gender identity
  • get a new birth certificate, driving licence and passport
  • marry in their new gender

To apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate, you must be over 18. Apply here:

Content provided by NHS Choices
print this page